[Reseñas] Borat, Reservoir Dogs, El ladrón de bicicletas (en inglés)


One of the functions of my new computer (the one that was given to me by two persons, to whom I'm very thankful), is a DVD player. How marvelous is technology today !

Well, I have to confess that in Peru (as in Mexico or many other countries), you can find lots of "pirate" movies, books, etc.

I don't know, even though I love to write (and dream of living from my texts), my opinion on copyright is quite strange: I do understand that there is a property over things you do (write, think, invent, film, discover, and so on), but I kep asking myself what would had happen if Pasteur or the Curie Spouses had registered copyright for their findings... would it be the same that happens today with drugs against AIDS (that if you are in Africa and you can't afford them, you just die) ??

Anyway, I just think that if there were much fairer prices for copyrighted stuff, then, we all would pay to have legal things. I buy anti virus, for example, I buy some books...

Well, the point wasn't this one.


What I wanted to say is that I bought three films on friday: "Borat"(2006), "Reservoir dogs" (1992), and "Bicycle thieve" (1948).

I'm not saying much abour Borat, except that I found it interesting, although I think that it is an offense for Kasajhstan people, since he really makes them look like stupids... of course he also makes american look stupids, but for me, thing is, that he generalizes with the european people, while he's very specific over some kinds of americans. I saw his blog and I'm still not convinced of his ideas...

Reservoir dogs, I won't write long. I love Tarantino and consider that this is one of his best films. In fact I keep thinking that Matrix bad guys (the ones in blak suit and tie) were copied from Tarantino's mr white, brown, orange, etc... I love the music, his personages, the mixture of violence and black humor.

But for the Bicycle thieve... Wow ! It's a black and white movie, it's old, it's simple, but it's really what I would call a film: good actors, a though history, and a non-happy end. Very realistic.

I've always loved films from the after war. They always depict the harsh years of Europe: no jobs, people suffering, no social security, no transport... It always makes me think of why Europe is what it is today. Those people really suffered but managed to transform their lives through hard work, that is very respectable.

It also makes me think of today's Europe: people have much more money (lots of it coming from those difficult years, granpa's and ma's savings, dad's enterprises), and the new generations taking advantage over it: they haven't really struggled to get what they have in the present: lots of them just work 6 months and travel the rest of the year... I mean, it is not bad, it's just so different to what you see in those films... perhaps I should conclude that we should pay more attention to the past and learn from it...

anyway, have a good week.

No comments: